Streaming camera data over ROS2 to Windows 10?

I was wondering if anyone had successfully streamed image data from the Realsense camera over ROS2 onto a windows machine?

I am fairly new to ROS as a whole, and have been running into countless issues importing the cv_bridge library on a listener node. I am able to stream IMU data from the Realsense without issue though.

If anyone is wondering what specific issue: building the package using colcon with the openCV (vision_opencv/cv_bridge at galactic · ros-perception/vision_opencv · GitHub) repo in the source folder seems to cause no end of problems, ultimately ending with colcon seeming to require 8.1 sdk for MSbuild with a version of ROS that requires visual studio 2019 that cant download 8.1 sdk, because it only goes back to 10.0 sdk.

Also, I ran into about ~9 errors before this one that I was eventually able to solve on my own… which makes me feel like I am doing something wrong.

terminal log (sorry, I don’t know how to format well):

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:2 (project):
Failed to run MSBuild command:

MSBuild.exe

to get the value of VCTargetsPath:

Microsoft (R) Build Engine version 16.11.2+f32259642 for .NET Framework
  Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build started 9/27/2022 1:51:51 PM.
  Project "C:\ros2_ws\build\image_geometry\CMakeFiles\3.24.1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" on node 1 (default targets).
  C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\v140\Toolset.targets(36,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 8.1 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution". [C:\ros2_ws\build\image_geometry\CMakeFiles\3.24.1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj]
  Done Building Project "C:\ros2_ws\build\image_geometry\CMakeFiles\3.24.1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" (default targets) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"C:\ros2_ws\build\cv_bridge\CMakeFiles\3.24.1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj" (default target) (1) ->
    (Desktop_PlatformPrepareForBuild target) ->
      C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Platforms\x64\PlatformToolsets\v140\Toolset.targets(36,5): error MSB8036: The Windows SDK version 8.1 was not found. Install the required version of Windows SDK or change the SDK version in the project property pages or by right-clicking the solution and selecting "Retarget solution". [C:\ros2_ws\build\cv_bridge\CMakeFiles\3.24.1\VCTargetsPath.vcxproj]

0 Warning(s)
      1 Error(s)

Time Elapsed 00:00:00.13

Exit code: 1

Hi @thyatt, I don’t have much experience with what it takes to run Colcon and ROS2 on Windows. Based on what I know, I believe this CMake error is telling you that the environment does have the VCTargetsPath variable defined. It may be the case that you need to be running the colcon command from a Visual Studio Command Prompt instead of the default command prompt or Powershell terminals available. Unfortunately, I don’t have a Windows machine ready to help you test this out.